Saturday, June 12, 2010

We're Destroying our Mother

The images of oil poisoning our ocean has a visceral effect. We've developed technology that can destroy our oceans. So far it's destroying a good chunk of the gulf. Companies have done little research on how best to clean up our waters; they're using the latest--what was developed in the late 70s. They invested plenty for deeper drilling, and invested in marketing a novocaine of sorts for the general public, lulling us to think that they're taking their "stewardship" seriously.

We've demonized regulation and convinced our populace that "government is the problem." We've let the market decide and supported commerce over our environment. Government is made up of people with individual and collective interests, but it's the social mechanism that we have to take care of our populace and the mechanism we have to seek justice. It's not perfect, but I'm not ready to "take it back"--whatever that means--and give it blindly to commerce. Commerce can be healthy within confines.

Water is a symbol for life, as well as a necessity for life. I'm comforted by the knowledge that Mother Earth can self-correct over time. Many generations may pass before she self-corrects this one. But, I'm worried this time. Perhaps this latest assault on the earth will slip, as others have, into history, and we'll merely accept it the way it is.

But, I can't help but think that we are destroying our mother, and rendering her barren. I can't help but feel pain that the Earth has lost the role of nurturing what was once alive.

3 comments:

  1. I really, really hate that this is happening.. I LOVE the gulf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was an article in the paper last week about the residents of the Pensacola Beach, Florida, heading to the beach to take some last photos & bid the place they knew & loved goodbye before the oil slick started moving in & destroying things. Every time I tried to tell someone about it, I started crying. What are we doing to this planet?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sickening and disgusting and leaves me feeling such a powerful mix of emotions that I just don't know what to do but turn them off and close my eyes. The gulf with all it's beauty and life is being poisoned by the irresponsibility of big business who feels nothing but a pinch to their wallet. It sickens me. This is a huge disaster which I am not sure can be fully recovered. I watch in horror and feel my chest grow tight. I grew up on the gulf and love it's warm waters and white sand. The dolphins, the nesting sea turtles, the mangoves... so much to be destroyed for what?

    I hope we as humans learn a lesson from this tragedy, but I have my doubts.

    ReplyDelete