Friday, June 25, 2010

Update on the "R" Word

Thanks to M at The Maybe Baby (Babies), I came upon some information about removing the "R" word. It's called "Rosa's Law," and it PASSED.

Professionals and laypeople will be using "intellectual disability" instead of "mentally retarded" in school and government-related business. You can bet that I'll continue trying to spread the word. In Caitlin's memory.

Words

Names hurt
Labels break the spirit
Strike the heart like sticks and stones
Dare deny this truth with silence
Find it affirmed with words
Words can heal
Words matter

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad it passed. Words do matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. So sorry about your loss. I'm sure it's a comfort to know that Caitlin will always be remembered here. Your photography blog is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words can so easily tear down but it takes so much more to build up it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great news. My little brother has developmental disabilities, and I get so angry when I hear people throwing the R word around. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete